Changing DNS Zones in cPanel
Users are able to change some DNS settings from cPanel.
- You can make changes to CNAME, A, TXT, MX, and SPF records through the "Zone Editor" in the "Domains" section.
Tip: If a record ends with a comment. cPanel will not be able to identify the MX records.
Notes About DNS Zone Changes
Nameserver records take twenty-four to forty-eight hours to propagate, while other records will only take up to four hours. It is important to verify that nameserver records match perfectly to those being used by the domain registrar. Zone changes must occur at the location the nameservers point at.
How to Change DNS Zones in cPanel
DNS Zone management can be done in "Zone Editor" in cPanel.
How to Add an A Record
A records connect hostnames to IP addresses. When you type "www.NixiHost.com" into your browser, your browser finds the correct server using the A record to direct it to the correct IP address.
- Find the "Domains" section, and click "Zone Editor"
- Click "+ A Record".
- Enter the name and address of the A record.
- Click "Add an A Record".
How to Add a CNAME Record
- Find the "Domains" section, and click "Zone Editor".
- Click "+ CNAME Record".
- Enter the name and address of the CNAME record.
- Click "Add a CNAME Record".
How to Change MX Records in WHM or cPanel
For MX Records it will be necessary that your domain is on a special remote server list.
- In WHM, expand "DNS Functions" in the left menu.
- Select "Edit MX Entry".
- Choose the domain name to be edited, and select "Edit".
- Choose "Local", "Backup", or "Remote Mail Exchangers". If you don't know which one to choose, select "Automatically Detect Configuration" and click "Change".
- Choose where to mount the MX Records, then select "Save".
- Click "Zone Editor" under the "Domains" heading.
- Click "Manage" next to the domain you wish to edit MX entries for.
- Click the "MX" filter to show only MX records.
- To add a record, click the drop-down menu next to "+ Add Record", then select "Add MX Record" from the list.
- Enter your record and click "Add Record" to save it.