IMAP vs POP
IMAP allows you to read emails as they arrive on the mail server. All changed made via IMAP are visible in webmail or on other IMAP connections.
IMAP is best for
- Connecting to email accounts from more than one computer
- Connecting to email accounts on mobile devices
- Multiple users accessing one email account
- If you wish to keep your folders and messages saved on the server
POP downloads copies of email messages to your computer from the server. This means any changes done to emails on your local computer will only be visible on your local computer. The originals stay unchanged on the server.
POP is best for
- Keeping your own backup of email messages
- Limited internet access - you can download your email and access it offline later
- Archiving permanent copies of emails for accounts you will delete