OpenPGP is a secure communications standard used for signing and encrypting communications as well as files and file structures. Thunderbird has OpenPGP built into it, and makes it easy to start using secure email.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Click "Setup Wizard".
- Click "Yes" to start the setup wizard.
- Choose "No" to create rules for each recipient that sends you a public key.
- Click "Yes", to change some default settings.
- Create a new key pair.
- Enter the passphrase you would like to use for your key. It is important that you do not lose or forget this passphrase. You will need it any time you wish to send or receive a secure email.
- Generate a private key to revoke your certificate if you do end up losing or forgetting your passphrase, and save it somewhere safe.
Your key can be found by clicking "OpenPGP", then "Key Management", and finally "Display All Keys By Default".