In some upgrade situations, PHP lacks the permissions necessary to delete old WordPress core files that would normally be cleaned during the upgrade process. These files remaining on your server creates a security risk, as these out-of-date core files may have vulnerabilities. Installing the Old Core Files Plugin will help you identify which WordPress files are old and can safely be deleted.
Installing Old Core Files Plugin
- Log in to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Select "Plugins" from the left side menu, then click "Search Plugins".
- Select "Install Now", then "Ok".
- Select "Activate Plugin".
Viewing Old Core Files
- In WordPress, click "Plugins", then "Installed Plugins".
- Find the Old Core Files plugin and then click "Settings".
- Old core files will show up under the list called "Existing". If there is nothing listed there, you have no old core files needing deletion.